After I have started blogging I am trying to recollect dishes that amma used to make and is totally forgottenn now.One such recipe is this tomato chutney with potatoes,which is a favourite in our household . If it is this chutney for breakfast or dinner nobody will complain about having idly,although we love to have it with dosa.My brother and me we used to hate idlies.This is the first time I am trying this chutney and it came out well.We had it with dosa as kido hates idlies(in the genes u see).This chutney is just like our regular tomato chutney but the addition of potatoes makes it a favourite among kids.It tastes great when the onion and tomato are ground in a ammikal,which is not possible in todays apartment culture and who has the time or energy to use an ammi with a hyper active kid at home, who keeps me on my toes the minute she is back from school.This chutney can be made tangy or spicy as per ones liking.It may remind one of a potato gravy sans ginger garlic paste or a southIndian version of potato gravy.
- In the mixie add one chopped onion, 2 tomatoes and red chillies and grind to a fine paste.Chop the other onion finely,also peel and chop the potato to small bite sized pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard once it splutters add the curry leaves followed by the finely chopped onion and potato and saute well.
- Now tip in the ground onion tomato puree and cover and simmer till the potato is cooked and the raw smell of the chutney leaves and switch off the stove. Serve with hot idlies, dosa or rotis.
- You are free to increase the number of chillies as mine was on the milder side.
- Adjust the consistency of the chutney as per your liking.If you are packing for lunch make it thick.
- The amount of oil can be decreased if using a non stick pan.
- Add sesame oil while serving for kids it enhances the taste.
- You can also make it as regular tomato chutney without potatoes.