Hai everybody hope you all had a great week-end .We were quite busy with sharu's school assignments but it went on well.I have bought a baking tray and we are planning to bake a cooker cake some time soon.I wanted to by some props for my blog but was not satisfied with ones I saw, so planning to visit shops next weekend.Now coming to todays recipe its a no fuss recipe which does not require any grinding how cool is that.I was quite lazy (as usual) so prepared sambhar rice using sambhar powder available rather than making a fresh one.Its ok it helps when you are rushing and want a quick fix rather than a whole spread but no compromise on health ,all veggies are added.In my rice all the veggies got over cooked,but this is a way to feed kids who hate veggies.Now off to the recipe.
- Pressure the rice and dhal together with 1/2 tsp of turmeric and a pinch of hing in 4 cups of water.Meantime you can chop all the veggies and keep them ready,and soak the tamarind in warm water.
- Now heat oil in a kadai/pressure pan ,add the peeled onions and saute well followed by tomato,saute for a minute,then add carrots, beans and radish and saute well.
- Now you can add the chopped brinjal followed by the powders ,add 1/2 cup of water and cook till all the veggies are cooked.Then add the required salt and tamarind juice (about half a cup thick pulp).Let the mix boil till almost all the water has evaporated and raw smell leaves,now add the jaggery.
- Mash the cooked rice and dhal mix with a ladle, add the rice mix to the kadai or transfer the veggies mix to the cooker whichever is convenient and mix well,add the coriander leaves and check for seasoning.
- Heat ghee in a small pan add the items under "to temper" list once the mustard starts cracking add this to the Sambhar rice and serve hot with papad.
- As there are veggies added to the rice itself you don't need any side dish as such.
- This rice tastes best when served hot.
- You can also avoid ghee and do the tempering in oil but this compromises on taste so you can reduce the amount of ghee if you wish.
- Choice of veggies is yours you can add drumstick,potato etc.
- You can reduce the amount of water to rice if you do not like your rice mushy.
- Adjust spice level,tamarind according to taste.
- This rice thickens with time so prepare accordingly.